Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week Three

I am learning quickly that one has to be flexible in order to be a good teacher. Otherwise, one would go bonkers.

Next week we have testing at my school, which throws a sizable monkey wrench into my lesson plans even though my seniors aren't subjected to this round of tests. We have four different schedules next week, with varying class lengths and homerooms. If the teachers can't keep it straight, how can the students be expected to? And when do we have time to teach the material on which the students are being tested?

Mrs. Moore helped remind me today that our school, whiLe it is overall pretty good, is still a public school and does have its issues that accompany that designation. A number of students do engage in 'extracurricular' activities, including using girlfriends as mules to bring in weapons and conducting business transactions during passing periods. It's rougher elsewhere, but that doesn't mean there aren't elements on our school campus. I don't think I'm that naïve, but it is still surprising to hear more specifics. Despite the fact that all involved are kids, they are applying standard economic priciples of supply and demand. But that doesn't make it right. Where there's money, they'll find a way.

2 comments:

  1. Doen't reaaly surprise me too much anymore. Hang in there and take it all in as a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was (somewhat) surprised to hear some teachers looking forward to a day without students tomorrow. I don't quite understand that. How can anyone really want a day of meetings and professional development seminars instead of teaching students? They must be in the wrong field.

    ReplyDelete