Monday, September 6, 2010

A new chapter is about to begin

Tomorrow I start my first day of student teaching. In the interests of student privacy, I will avoid naming the school, and all names of people will be changed to protect identities and ensure confidentiality. This blog is about my experiences and growth as I enter the world of teaching.

According to one of the assistant principals, I will be teaching World Lit and Theatre. I am ecstatic, as this is an opportunity to take advantage of undergrad experiences at Roosevelt University, where I obtained a BA in theatre. As far as World Lit, most of my reading this summer was comprised of international stories, whether in Germany (The Reader), Iran (Reading Lolita in Tehran) or Afghanistan (The Kite Runner). I have obtained short stories and sudden fiction (aka short short stories) by Latin American authors, and I also picked up some Holocaust-inspired works. It is an area in which my palette is wide open, as my world lit in high school was eons ago and still mostly Western works. Maybe I will be able to share some of my experience with Asian drama, especially the Japanese formats of kyogen and noh.

It should be an exciting day as I meet students, teachers and faculty, and start to familiarize myself with what will essentially be my home for the next ten weeks. New commutes, longer days (when adding in some part time work and the seminar classes tied in to the teaching), fewer off days will be challenging, as will having a reduced income, but I think my wife and I are as prepared as we can be and should get through it well. It helps having a flexible employer who will allow me to go back to full time when I am done until I am eventually hired for a teaching position.

Please stay tuned for what should be some interesting experiences as I try some new lesson plans and take the plunge into the next chapter of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment