Thursday, September 16, 2010

Remediation

Remediation. This is a word not discussed much in my university teacher educationi program, but I am learning quickly that, in Chicago, it is a fundamental art for teaching. We are doing grammar with my seniors, and clearly more remediation is necessary. We are doing sentence diagrams, and it is evident that some students know their parts of speech, and some just aren't there. I'm not sure if language itself is an issue, though many might be surprised to know that my Spanish-speaking kids have a good grasp on grammar. Students from other language backgrounds, however, seem to be having more challenges. It's a small sample size, to be honest, and I'd gather that many of my strugglers have only known English.

I am looking forward to working through the literature. I think the students will respond well to the activites planned. I know I'm ready for more multi-modal instruction, as this direct instruction bores me--I can only imagine how the students are feeling.

Next week, I will be remediating more grammar. Scary thought, that these kids are seniors and are struggling to identify how artcles should used. Grading has been interesting, and I'm now giving serious thought to peer grading. Mrs. Moore says we'll do that with the literature, but I don't know that I will use it for grammar. Organization and time management are essential, and I'm doing a reasonable job with it so far. But it will have to be better when I'm actually assigned my own class.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in college I noticed that my TAs and professors who spoke English as a second language had a far better command of English grammar and syntax than most native English speakers I've encountered. I was blown away. My theory is that these TAs and professors learned English in an academic environment as teens or adults where the focus was on learning proper English grammar in the same manner that we learned Spanish and German in high school.

    As a self-professed grammar snob, I thought our generation's command of the English language was bad. But this generation of (American) high school students has it even worse; since birth they have been immersed in a world of technology where spellcheck and texting shorthand are the only tools they need to navigate the English language.

    Do you think this applies to your kids who are struggling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some of the students are choosing not to know or understand the syntax. Many need to be told what to do because they've had their hands held for too long--whether by teachers, administrators or family members. Others have special needs. When I had them do a writing assignment, it wasn't so bad. I think because they haven't learned intrinsic motivation, they struggle to have pride in their work. And they're constantly reminded of their struggles with the inordinate numbers of tests they must take. It will be interesting if I can tap that abilitY to want to succeed. Until then...

    ReplyDelete